Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Technology...my new best friend

I blog.  I tweet.  I've grown.  As an educator who lacked the knowledge and confidence to embrace technology I can honestly say I have taken the opportunities provided in this class to expand my "technology" horizons.  I have always believed in the integration of technology into lessons, curriculum, and into the daily life of the classroom, but I lacked the personal tools to try.  Thanks to Jeff and his extreme patience I am forging a new path.

Here's one way I am utilizing what I have learned:
This past week my principal and I presented a new idea to teachers.  We wanted to create a day where students received information from any source other than the teacher.  Students were given an essential question or topic and told to find out as much as they could using three sources:  the textbook, fellow students, or the internet.  My district has a strict policy against open access on the internet.  Even as a adult on campus I have no access to the use of YouTube and many sites are blocked.  Students are told not to bring computers, ipads, or cellular phones to school.  But here's the exciting part about creating a day where teachers and students had to think outside the box - my principal allowed students to bring and use mobile devises on this unique learning day.  It's a small step, but it's a step.

Next steps:
My next goal is to present the reasons technology needs to be more available to students and teachers at VUSD to the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction.  I plan to gather research which supports the positive results that would happen if and when students are given access to the world outside their classroom.  I believe that then and only then are we truly providing universal access and social equity in learning to all students.  

2 comments:

  1. There is always a way "around" the rules. You and your principal seem to have found one way. What was the overall reaction of students and teachers? What was the reaction of parents? What did the students explore? Do you have a sense of their level of responsible use? Maybe these are things you can measure to begin to get your district to "open up" to the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start! There are a wealth of resources on Twitter to get you to find data to support your desire to open up the VUSD filters. . .these are choices made by people. In JCCS, we give teachers access to YouTube while restricting access for students. Also, you need an open AUP that includes the use of social media. . .I will always be here as a resource for you!

    ReplyDelete