Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

"Just visiting right now"

In the video on visiting or residing on the internet, it was easy for me to identify my current status.   I am difinitely an internet visitor.  Although I must admit that after just the few sessions we have had regarding integrating technology into our presence as educators, I have become intrigued by how the internet can work for me.

I had always thought of the internet as a place to get information.  I think of it as a technological toolbox allowing me to gather information I need without leaving any trace of my presence.  I like the idea of being private with my interests and never saw a purpose for posting my life for all to see.  That feeling hasn't changed, but I do want to explore how to use the internet to promote my educational agenda.  Moving my presence on the internet from "academic and technological skills" to "culture and motivation" will be a future goal. 

I come from a generation of internet visitors or digital immigrants (as they have been called).  I am a linear thinker so the idea of stimuli coming at me from multiple sources seems somewhat overwhelming.  Needless to say I held out on purchasing a Kindle.  One of my favorite things to do is to go to the bookstore and purchase a book.  The feel of the book and the texture of the pages was something I didn't want to give up.  Well, I did finally purchase a Kindle and it has been revolutionary!  It is so lightweight and easy to use.  I even downloaded the kindle app on my iphone so I can have a book with me 24/7.  I think I initially held out because of fear.  Now I can't imagine life without it.  I hope my experience with becoming an internet residence produces the same results!

4 comments:

  1. I am happy to hear that you are overcoming your fear of the Internet! I know you have such a deep love for reading, so I am glad you are branching out with the Kindle...I have yet to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were made for the web. Your light will always shine and be visible. Take it as slow as you want. It is a good match and can stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheree, I agree this class has introduced some really cool tools and given me a good "excuse" to spend a little time to figure them out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you for trying new applications! i completely agree with you on the whole visitor thing. i see myself in the same way. and, yes, class is also pushing me to explore new technologies and change my way of thinking bout technology.

    ReplyDelete